Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Big Payback by Room101


 

A Cigars Tale

Review by

Nathan D. Hale



Cigar Name:     The Big Payback

Cigar Brand:     Room101

Wrapper:     Nicaraguan

Binder:     Nicaraguan

Filler:     Nicaraguan

Vitola Reviewed:     Chavala (Robusto)

Strength:     Medium-Full

Price:     MSRP $4.95ea


Visual:          

As I look at The Big Payback, I take note of the smooth, caramel color wrapper. It has some small veins and has a softer construction. The band is pretty cool, black with silver letters in a fun font. A small blemish on the wrapper, but other than that, the construction appears solid.

Cold Aroma:           
The wrapper has a sweet, molasses like scent that is very pleasant. As I move to the foot I take note of light barnyard with some slight hay and molasses in the background.                   

Cold Draw:              
After cutting, I move on to the cold draw where I find a prominent sweetness (molasses), along with that slight barnyard in the background. The wrapper has that very nice sweetness that will help balance the cigar.

First Third:  

Immediately after lighting the cigar I get smacked in the mouth with a spicy red pepper. Really full here at the beginning of this stick. Along with the pepper I take note to leather, some slight citrus, a grapefruit, with some hints of expresso. There is average smoke and the burn line is perfect. I do note that the burn line is burning pretty quick. The ash is a lighter gray. A “crack” has developed and is only wrapper deep. As we are getting closer to the end of this third, I take note of a stronger leather flavor, followed by some coffee notes.

Second Third:        

Moving into the second third I am noticing a mellowing out and now would say we have a medium-full cigar. Leather is at the front, followed by that same red pepper spice. Caramel has now made an entrance and is in the background, but there just enough to help bring this cigar together and even more enjoyable. I am starting to get a woodiness that I would call a cedar. There is more smoke production and the aroma has gotten better. The ash fell at about two inches.

 Last Third:   

As we move into the final third, Leather is at the front sitting side-by-side with the woodiness. There is a slight sweetness that is more of a fig flavor, but the leather is prominent. At this point we are trying to keep it from going out. I have lost that fight and am forced to relight it. I have no problems after that.



Thoughts:    

The idea behind The Big Payback was to create a premium cigar at a value price point. I believe they have done just that. The flavors that are in this cigar, red pepper, molasses, cedar, caramel, leather, fig and grapefruit make for an interesting, but manly cigar. The changes are fantastic and keep you on your toes. The draw was perfect for me at a medium and the medium-full strength was just on the fringe of where I like it. Overall this is a very good cigar. One I can see having around just to be smoking a cigar. I fully expect to see this as Cigar Aficionados top value cigar list of 2015.

12-06-2015

 

 

 

1 comment: